Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Driving with Huffington Post's @2morrowKnight

Meet 2morrowknight, a guy  so cool and hip he only needs a Twitter "handle"! When he is not tweeting, blogging or posting he works in Tacoma doing Government contracting. You can expect a Children's Book coming in early 2011 (I will be sure to let you know about it).

When I think of 2morrowknight I think of a writer who tackles serious issues in a very heartfelt, articulate and strait-shooting way. 2morrowknight is an author, blogger, and community activist who blogs for the Huffington Post and Opinion Editorial, and whose work has appeared in Buzzfeed, The Stimulist, Womentality Magazine and Essence.com. He has lectured at Morehouse, Spelman, and Emory University; and worked as a volunteer internet strategist for the Obama Presidential Campaign. A Marketing Strategist, Activist, and Master Surfer....you will surely enjoy the light hearted, candid side of @2morrowKnight!

ENJOY! 
Where are you answering these questions from?
Home in Tacoma

What are you wearing
?
Jeans and a Lakers T-Shirt! (Kobe!!!)

How did you get started writing
?
I've been an avid writer for years. But strangely, I was late to the "blogging game". I didn't have a blog until February '09. Before that, I just kept my thoughts in archived emails and in journals. But I wanted to write for the Huffingtonpost, and I felt a blog would be the best way to showcase my work, connect with great people, and build a following.

What are 3 items you CAN NOT live without
?
My laptop, my cell phone, and CNN!

Favorite story you have ever written
?
16 Amazing Women on Twitter and the Awesome Charities they Support. Its the first piece I wrote for the Huffingtonpost. I didn't say the the top or best women, just some amazing women doing extraordinary work. It took me a 3 weeks to complete it because I wanted my first piece for the Huffingtonpost to be a smash hit. And it was. People loved it because it was actually two posts in one: 16 personal bios, and, info on over 20 charities. I'm very proud of that.

What are your fondest childhood memories
?
Waking up on Christmas Day to some great Christmas Music from The Temptations and Donny Hathaway.


What are your favorite things to do?
As my friends know, I love surfing, hiking, traveling, blogging, and just spending time with family and friends.



How do you use Social Media in your industry for productivity?
Social media is key. Very key. Without Twitter, Facebook and StumbleUpon, my posts would not enjoy the success they have today. Its unfortunate that people believe the old saying: "If you write it, they will come." That is no longer the case. Social media is the best way to give your work great online buzz.

What inspires you when you write
?
Many things. But mostly the feeling of seeing someone I've profiled shine and thrive and move forward in a positive way. That's huge for me.

What is your favorite website
?
It would probably be a tie between the Huffington Post and Mashable. They both rock!

If you had a Super Power what would it be
?
X-ray vision. I was a big fan of Superman as a boy. I guess that’s why I like it.

Which famous musicians do you admire
?
Why? I really admire Stevie Wonder. What he is able to do – being blind – that’s just amazing. I have all of his biggest hits in my record collection.

What is your favorite movie
?
If I had to pick one, I would probably say 1998’s Enemy of the State. It deals with many of the issues we consistently debate in social media: privacy, the government’s right to know, etc. Easily one of the most though-provoking movies I’ve ever seen. Interestingly, it’s also the movie that made Will Smith a serious Hollywood actor, though he was already a huge, worldwide movie star.

Favorite snack
?
Macadamia nuts. One word: awesome!

How do you balance your life
?
You have to keep a great perspective about what matters most in life: Family. For me, everything flows from that. You have to surround yourself with people who truly care about your well being. It's a must!

If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be, and what would say to them
?
If you don't mind, I'd like to name two people: President Obama is the first. His story is truly inspirational! But there is another person I'd like to meet too. Her name is Jeannette Rankin. She was extraordinary. She was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1916. This was amazing because (a) women couldn't even vote at the time and (b) she had to over come the sexist attitudes of men to win her congressional seat in Montana. Interestingly, in her old age, she was a HUGE supporter of Martin Luther King. Rankin was amazing! I hope someone does a film on her life. ? I have a library of over 1000 books. Lots of subjects: politics, religion, geography, technology, sexuality, history, cooking, and many other areas. Books are like a passport. I never let one day go by without learning something new, or allowing a great book to take me to a new destination.

What chore do you dislike
?
If I had to pick one, taking out the garbage. But I do it.

Do you have any animals
?
None right now, but I love cats. I'll be getting one soon.

Fruits or Vegetables
?
Fruits! Nothing beats a fruit salad.

Mac or PC?
Mac!

Ginger or Mary Ann
?
Definitely Mary Ann! Ginger was just eye candy. She also strikes me as the kind of person who feels she is “too pretty” to get her hands dirty. But Mary Ann is geeky, engaging, down-to-earth, hands-on and attractive. More of a total package, if you know what I mean.

Any regrets in life
?
None! I strongly believe that nearly everything happens for a reason. Everything I've done, and haven't done, has put me in the place I'm in right now. I've lived a great life. No regrets at all.

Craziest thing you have done
.
Well, when I was in college, I was the school mascot for two years. One day, I decided to drive around to store after store in the mascot outfit. I went to McDonald's, Starbucks, Home Depot, Burger King, Macy's, Nordstrom, a police station, a fire station, and I even took pictures with Ronald McDonald. Priceless! And crazy! Yes, I drove around town in a convertible, wearing a hairy, Panther Mascot outfit for 3 hours. FOR

MORE INFO
Website
Twitter
Huffington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment