Friday, April 15, 2011

One Size Does Not Fit All!

This past week I had the honor of speaking at the NAB Show in Las Vegas. It was truly amazing to get to spend time and meet some very cool people in the Broadcasting community! My session "Are You Being Followed" was geared towards how Broadcasters, celebrities, high profile people use social media strategically to accomplish productivity goals. Now those are VERY unique. I can't think of two broadcasters or stations that should be or are using Social Media/Social Networking the same way!

The way I consult clients *on paper* looks more like a tree graph where each answer forms the next question. There is not a one-size-fits-all answer for any of them, but I have found some great questions that help you set up a strategic way to accomplish productivity goals! I use a Get a G.R.A.S.P. system I created that is similar to what some sales people call a C.N.A. (Client Needs Analysis). This helps me work with a client to determine Goals, Reach, ABCs, Socialality and Promotional opportunities.)
  • Goals (what are you trying to do?)
  • Reach (who are you trying to reach?)
  • ABC's (what do your platform participation sites look like?)
  • Sociality (what do you want to talk about?)
  • Promotion (how will you get audience to follow you?)
It is important clarify and target Social Media goals, meaning clearly determine what constitute as a productivity measurement? Usually it will mirror marketing goals. If you are trying to send more traffic to website or specific elements of website and gain more followers on specific Social Media Platforms you will want to set up your your online efforts to facilitate this visually. If you are trying to increase Search Engine Optimization (SEO) ranking, you will want to figure out what key words matter to your potential followers/clients/listeners.

-Do you know who your target audience (best "customer") is and when do they use Social Media? What are your rules of engagement with this audience?
-Take an overall look at your Social Media Platform sites....branding doesn't alway have to jump off the page, but should make sense for your demographic appeal.
-Content is King but consistency is his Queen, worse that doing nothing is starting and then stopping.
-You may also want to consider adding Social media guidelines for company personal & professional engagement, I found it is better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have :)

I was really impressed with the feature story that Craig Johnston from RadioWorld.com did on me and my Broadcasting and Social Media ideas this week. It really covers the basics and sums up what I am all about even better than I could ever say.

Hope you are all having a great week! As always let me know what you are thinking, whats on your mind and if there are any areas you would like Full Throttle Country to be covering in regards to Social Media/Social Networking utilization!

No comments:

Post a Comment