Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Driving on Full Throttle County with Country Music's Larry Pareigis

by Jessica Northey

How do you describe Larry Pareigis, President, Nine North Records/Turnpike Music? He’s tall, I mean he’s really tall, standing at 6 foot 5, he’s as nice as the day is long, smarter than anyone I have ever met, loves to go to the gym and passionate about all things music, especially country music.

 Larry is responsible for
breaking acts like the Dixie Chicks, Gretchen Wilson, Montgomery Gentry, Van Zant, Miranda Lambert, Buddy Jewell & many more.
 If you are on Twitter he is also known as @NineNorthLP. He has over 22,000 followers.....why.....to quote Kidd Redd, "for one thing, he’s interesting about 10 times a day. He dedicates time to it. If you’re in the country radio, record or artist biz, @NineNorthLP is worth following. He’s inspiring, fun, enthusiastic, and joyous about his artists."






Where are you answering these questions from right now?
My home office

What are you wearing right now?
A Wayneburg College t-shirt (my dad’s alma mater) and some khakis and New Balance kicks

How did you get started in broadcasting?
Got a gig at 14 at WQQT Savannah, GA…I’m forever grateful to Scott Seiden for giving me my start

What are 3 items you CAN NOT live without?
My iPad, my netbook and my dog Blue

Favorite item of clothing/jewelry/accessory?
Anything that’s comfortable. I prefer comfort over style and most people who see me dress would agree

Have you ever been in a fight?
Yep.
What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? 
That I can’t do anything about the day before and tomorrow isn’t guaranteed so I better get to it

What kind(s) of car do you drive?
Lexus LS-430

Is there anything that you regret?
Not really. And sometimes.

What are your fondest childhood memories?
I was raised by my grandparents for my first 5-6 years because my parents were getting their doctorates at Pitt, so I miss all the smells and summers and ice cream trucks and cold, cold community swimming pools when I stayed with them.

What current event has your eyes and ears?
The implosion of the way the old music business works, and being proud to be a part of the evolving new music model.

How do you use Social Media in your industry for productivity?
Communication with programmers, artists, managers, and with fans and consumers directly. It cannot be beat.

What is your favorite website?
 Cnet.com, musicinfosystems.com, FingerCandyMedia.com…wait, that’s YOUR site Jessica!

If you had a Super Power what would it be?
Having multiple mes to be multiple places and do multiple things.

Which famous people do you admire?
All of my heroes, sadly, are dead. They’re still my heroes though. Big ups to my father, Hunter S. Thompson, Kurt Vonnegut and the whole cabal that warped my brain into what it is today.

What is your favorite movie?
Lawrence Of Arabia. Sweeping vistas but a painfully intimate story well told.

Favorite snack?
I’m being so good, so probably strawberries these days.

How do you balance your work with other obligations - mate, children, hobbies?
I’m not sure I do. 

Do you get nervous about anything?
Of course.

If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be, and what would say to them?
I wish my dad were still alive; whenever something cool or challenging comes along I still reflexively pick up the phone to call him even though he’s been gone 6 years.

What is your hobby or do you collect anything?
Muhammad Ali memorabilia, because I admire his stands, his unique points of view, his charisma and his ability to triumph over seemingly impossible odds.

What chore to you hate?
Washing clothes. Just not a fan. I do it all the time. I just don’t like it. Don’t mind the folding, see.

Do you have an animal/s?
Blue, my dog and Lily, my cat.

Fruits or Vegetables?
Fruit. Totally fruit. Blue loves fruit too. I call him my fruit bat.

Mac or PC?
PC AND iPad!

Ginger or Mary Ann?
Ginger by a mile. The curves, the curves.

Craziest thing you have ever done?
Starting my own company. It’s also been the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

FOR MORE INFO ABOUT LARRY CLICK HERE
Larry Pareigis, President
Nine North Records/Turnpike Music
PO Box 58270
Nashville, TN. 37205-8270
615.332.5511 (cell)
615.523.1337 (fax)
AOL IM: NineNorthLP
http://www.ninenorthrecords.com
http://www.facebook.com/larrypareigis
http://www.twitter.com/ninenorthlp
http://www.twitter.com/9NorthRecords

No comments:

Post a Comment