Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sunday Driving on Full Throttle County with @JessWrightRadio

Name: Jess Wright WFRE
Location: Frederick, MD
Web: http://www.wfre.com
Bio: I'm your afternoon blabbermouth on 99.9 WFRE, playing your favorite country music!


How did you get started in Broadcasting?
Was a journalism major in college and got my first radio job working for WYYS in  Ithaca, NY, which I'd grown up listening to (under several different names/call letters).  Gave up on news and decided to stick with the fun side of the business.

Where are you answering these questions from right now?
WFRE studio

What are you wearing right now?
That's kinda personal....   ;)

What are 3 items you CAN NOT live without?
Cheese;  Cell phone;  Google.



What are your fondest childhood memories?
Making pizza from scratch with my parents when I was really young -- Dad made the crust, Mom made the sauce, and I got to shred the cheese.

What are your favorite things to do?
I never get tired of listening to music, going to concerts and little acoustic shows; I love to read chick lit, but nothing I might learn something from;  When I have the time, I love to take short road trips to visit friends or just relax on a beach somewhere.

What current event has your eyes and ears?
Obviously the oil spill has everyone's eyes and ears, and I'm encouraging the air staff to keep listeners posted on things they can do to help (like donating hair at local hair salons).  Also, when the Nashville floods hit a few months ago, even though they weren't getting any national coverage, I started a drive to collect clothing, cleaning supplies, toiletries, pet food, baby items, etc, and we sent 22.5 tons of donations to Nashville, and all of the donations were then distributed to shelters all over the area

How do you use Social Media in your industry for productivity?

My air staff and I all use Facebook and Twitter to promote station events, giveaways during our shows, and important local events and traffic problems.

What is your favorite website?
Facebook, because it keeps me posted on my friends, both in and out of the industry, and gives me direct access to my listeners.

If you had a Super Power what would it be?
Invisibility.  Or the ability to clean my house by twitching my nose.

Which famous musicians do you admire?
Allison Krauss, because she has the most beautiful voice ever; Brad Paisley because he shows fans (and other musicians) how easy it is to have a great time without getting trashed;  and any musician trying to "make it" even when they know they're faced with 10+ years of trying.

What is your favorite movie?
What Dreams May Come...  because it came out around the same time my father died, and I like the way heaven is represented in it.

Favorite snack?
Cheese.  Because it tastes good.

How do you balance your work with other obligations?
I don't have children, but I do bring my dog to work sometimes.  I try to leave work at work, which isn't always possible, but more often than not I'm able to do it.  After work, I can plan other things.

Do you get nervous about anything?
Sure.  Being called into the boss's office is always nervewracking, even when I know I haven't done anything wrong.   Also, public speaking outside the studio.  On air is easy, nobody's looking at me!

Do you have a ritual before you go on the air?
Just show prep, when I have time.

If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be, and what would say to them?
Stephen King, and I would apologize for not being able to get any words to come out of my mouth when I met him the first time.  Then I'd ask him why he never wrote me into any of his stories after that experience.

What is your hobby or do you collect anything?
I don't collect things anymore, because when my family knows I do, they go crazy.  I think I have finally gotten rid of all of the cow dish towels, knick knacks and candle holders from the last time I collected.

What chore to you hate?
Dishes.  I just have always hated washing dishes, and my mom knew that so she'd use it as a punishment.  I still consider it a punishment.

Do you have an animal/s?
Two -- a black lab mix named Zeppelin (because he's a black dog), and a 17-year-old calico cat named Bianca.

Fruits or Vegetables?
Cheese.

Mac or PC?
PC

Ginger or Mary Ann?
I think I'm a mix of the two...

Craziest thing you have ever done?
This past winter, when the biggest snow storm in history hit our area,  my Music Director and I thought it would be a good idea to walk down the only road to the radio station to try and get home.  We waded through waist-deep snow drifts in zero visibility, crawled under a jack-knifed tractor trailer at the bottom of the hill, and had to find a way around the 12-foot snow drift on the other side to get to our engineer waiting in his 4WD on the other side to take us home.  We made it and we were fine, but I realized halfway down the hill that it was definitely not the smartest thing I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment