Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday Driving with @AadamDrakeOnAir

Meet Adam Drake!  Born and raised in Southeast Texas! Adam fell in love with music riding in the truck with his dad listening to everything from Willie Nelson to Nine Inch Nails to Blondie! His first radio gig came in 2002 at Cumulus Beaumont. He has done ever day part in country radio, served as Promotions Director, Production Director, Music Director, and Assistant Program Director.



Where are you answering these questions right now?
I’m sitting on my nice comfy chair at the house with my feet propped up on my ottoman. Ahh, the comforts of being on the beach!

What are you wearing right now?
Well, an hour ago I would’ve had a different answer, but thank goodness I changed before I started doing these questions, haha! I’m wearing some basketball shorts and a tank top.

How did you get started in Broadcasting?
I was working at Bennigan’s in Beaumont during college and met a guy who worked at the ESPN station there at the time. We talked sports and he invited me to come on his show. After a few months of that, the cluster kept me around doing PT stuff on KAYD-KD101. I also bugged the Promo guy to teach me whatever he could!

What are your fondest childhood memories?
Hands down, my fondest memory is going to Astros games with my dad. He has since passed away and going to the games now reminds me of being a kid and eating a Dome Dog and waiting for autographs from the Killer B’s.

What are you favorite things to do?
I love to relax....sitting on the beach sipping an ice cold drink or at a concert with 40,000 people. Just something that can take me out of myself even for just a little bit. Mostly though, I love to spend time with my wife and friends watching movies, going to a ballgame, or just hanging out.


What current event has opened your eyes and ears?
Every time I turn on the TV or radio, I’m bombarded by sad stories that there’s not much I can do about. I’d love to have millions of dollars to donate or be a genius to fix things, but I don’t. So I think the current event that has opened my eyes would be the death of Coach John Wooden. He was a man that, I think, we should all aspire to be. I can’t help a lot of problems with money or brains, but I hope that I can be a better man to make those around me see that we can all make a difference, even if it’s just with a smile… kinda cheesy answer, I know, but it’s what I aspire to every day.




How do you use Social Media in your industry for productivity?
Social Media is awesome for radio! There’s never been a way to keep up with listeners like there is now. To be able to type 140 characters and let everyone know what you have going on, or let people know about a local event is amazing. I use social media to get a gauge on what people think about songs, people, etc.


What is your favorite website?
Hmm… there are so many I go to on a daily basis, and believe it or not, none of them are dirty… much… haha. Being a sports fan I have to check in with ESPN.com, Astros.com, and Aggieathletics.com. I try to keep up with the humorous Hollywood gossip sites like Dlisted.com, WWTDD.com, and TMZ.com. Most of my favorite music news comes straight from the artists via their Twitter accounts. Also, I’m a huge nerd so I go to SuperHeroHype.com everyday too!



Where are you answering these questions right now?
I’m sitting on my nice comfy chair at the house with my feet propped up on my ottoman. Ahh, the comforts of being on the beach!


If you had a Super Power what would it be?
I’m a big nerd in fact  I’m the guy at all the comic movies at their midnight showings, so I know all the great powers to have! I think I’d have to go with telepathy like Professor Xavier. It’d be cool to be able to read people’s minds and not have to wonder what they are thinking all the time! “Honey, what do you want to eat tonight.....Mexican food it is!”


Which famous musicians do you admire?
I don’t have a lick of musical ability, I can’t carry a tune, and I can’t write a song for the life of me! It’s a clichéd, boring answer, but I really do admire anyone who can do those things. My favorite songwriting musician though is Radney Foster. Every time I hear a song he does I ask myself how he knows exactly what I’m feeling. It’s a little spooky!


What is your favorite movie? Why?
Another loaded question! I’m looking over at my movie collection right now and it’s hard to choose just one of the 100+ that we own. So if I have to pick just ONE, I’ll go with… The Blind Side. What a fantastic story with a great message.


What are 3 items you CAN NOT live without?
hmm, I’ll go with sunglasses, a body of water, and an unlimited cold beverage! haha




How do you balance you work with other obligations?
I was really lucky to find a wife who is very understanding about what the radio business entails. It’s not a 9-5 punch in, punch out job. There are some weeks that there is nothing at all going on, and other times where there is event after event to do. The way we’ve balanced it for so long as by having her involved. She goes to events with me, helps set up, and as payback, I’ll take her to meet Brad Paisley! It’s really a win/win for both of us!


Do you get nervous about anything?
Not really. I was involved with theatre from Jr. High to college, then straight into radio out of college, so I’ve always been good at just letting things roll as they do. There have been a couple of people I got a little nervous meeting though: Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, and Tanya Tucker.


Do you have a ritual before you go on the air?
Nah, I’ve always been a grip it n’ rip it kind of guy! I do like to make sure I’ve got everything I need before going on air though, prizes, show-prep, something to drink.


If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be, and what would say to them?
I’d love to spend the day hanging out with Kris Kristofferson. What a life that dude has lived and all the things he’s done! I see hanging out with him and hearing his stories about music, movies, being close friends with the Cash family, and everything else he’s done would be awesome!


What is your hobby or do you collect anything?
As a kid, I collected baseball cards. On my honeymoon, my wife and I started collecting shot glasses from wherever we visit. Really no reason in particular, but there have been times that or collecting them has come in handy!


What chore do you hate?
Any and all chores! I’m NOT a cleaning type of person, I get bored with it too easy!


Fruits or Vegetables?
Love them both!! Apples, oranges, bananas, cherries, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob! Dang… now I’m hungry!


Mac or PC?
I have a PC, but really want a Mac. I hate dealing with viruses!

Ginger or Mary Ann?
Let me say this first, I LOVE redheads, but I’ve gotta go with Mary-Ann on this one. She was a lot more down to earth and cooler in my eyes.


Craziest thing you have ever done?
I think the statute of limitations has passed for most things I can get in TOO much trouble for… There was this one time that……. Oh, and I can’t not mention what happened when my friends and I ……. good times, good times! I do feel bad for that officer’s house though… haha





No comments:

Post a Comment