Thursday, April 28, 2011

On The Road to find work

Radio-Info and Tom Taylor's section just ran an article this week regarding a group of Canadian broadcasters that are on the road looking for jobs and appraising the job outlook in Canadian radio. I did this in 1974 after losing my first job in radio, we hit the road in California, armed with air checks and resumes. When we ran low, we would dub reel-reel air checks on Ampex 660's at stations we visited. From Santa Ana through The Central Valley, we stopped everywhere we could. On the return down the coast, we were both hired at KXFM Santa Maria by Billy Brill. Anyone doing this would really stand out this day in age.           

1 comment:

  1. I was actually going to do this last summer. I ran the idea by a few PDs, former PDs and consultants i know and their take on it, for the most part, was that it wouldn't produce the results i was looking for. The thinking, i was told, is that in the world of radio today PDs just don't have the time to sit down and talk with someone who knocks on their door. Today it's, "send me an .mp3" and you're lucky if you get an eMail in response. If i thought it would work i'd be making a roadie to Sacramento this afternoon. Guess i'll just keep plugging my podcast page (www.mikepesto.podomatic.com) and updating my facebook status.

    ReplyDelete