Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Driving with @DanMatthewsDJ!

Meet the very talented, entertaining and charismatic DAN MATTHEWS from Boise's WOW Country 104.3(KAWO)!
"A disembodied voice appears from nowhere telling you that Dan got his start in Tucson, Arizona and has been loving life in Idaho for the past four years. He’s got a pretty wife, a fat dog and a mean cat. The voice proceeds to tell you that Dan enjoys beer and tacos, the complete works of Dr Seuss, and boxer shorts fresh-from-the-dryer. Suddenly a door appears next to the radio. You pass through the threshold and your ears are filled with the delightful sounds of Idaho’s Fresh New Country. You then realize that your pockets are full of $100 bills and all of your wildest dreams have come true. You live out the rest of your days in complete happiness."


Where are you answering these questions from right now? I’m sitting in my luxurious cubicle in the palatial Peak Broadcasting building here in Boise, Idaho.


What are you wearing right now?
Fuzzy bunny slippers

How did you get started in Broadcasting?
I started working for the Slone family in Tucson, Arizona. I was the free intern, then the part time promo guy, then the weekend overnight guy, then the full time promo guy and then FINALLY full time night guy on KIIM FM.



What are your fondest childhood memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
I was a ridiculous kid… One of my favorite memories is when my dad set up a tape deck, mixing board and mic in my bedroom. I was doing ‘radio’ broadcasts from an early age… It’s a wonder why I never had many friends.

What are your favorite things to do?
My wife and I (… we just got married in January so it’s still kinda fun to actually say ‘wife’…) my wife and I love it here in Idaho. No matter what time if year it is, there’s always something outdoorsy to do. There’s also something to be said about enjoying lazy Sundays on the couch.



What current event has your eyes and ears?
Obviously the Gulf Oil Spill is a hot button even in Idaho. I think that there’s a general frustration with the continued inability to effectively respond to environmental disasters. On my show this afternoon, we’re going to come up with creative ways to punish greedy Oil Execs.

How do you use Social Media in your industry for productivity?
If you ask my wife, she’d say that ‘twitter’ and ‘productive’ don’t belong in the same sentence. She’s just jealous that I have more followers than she does. Social Media is great for radio. It’s an extension of our broadcast, it’s instant gratification for the listeners, and it’s just another outlet for me to be a personality. We try to be as interactive with our Social Media as possible. Sure it’s fine to tweet your latest text contest info, but I think people like to feel engaged with their radio station. It adds that extra personality to make us more than just a regular ol’ radio station.



What is your favorite website?
I live on Facebook… It’s a full on addiction. I also love the fact that if you can dream it up, you can probably find video of someone doing it on YouTube.

If you had a Super Power what would it be?
Actually, I can already change stoplights from red to green with power of my mind… sometimes it just takes a while.


Which famous musicians do you admire? 
I stole my radio last name from Dave Matthews… C’mon, I was a goofy white guy in college so I was obligated to worship him at the time. I really admire those country artists like Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Tim & Faith (to name only a few) who really stepped up to spearhead Nashville Flood relief. I think they should give Montgomery Gentry a week with the Gulf and they’d figure out a way to clean it up!

What is your favorite movie? Why
If it’s stupid and quotable then it’s in my wheelhouse. We spent most of Memorial Weekend quoting Super Troopers. Gotta say that my favorite movie right now is The Hangover.


Favorite snack?
They’ve got the Take 5 candy bar in the break room vending machine. Pretzel, chocolate, and peanut butter – are you kidding me? In fact, I think I’m gonna go get one right now. Hang on……………………………………………..

What are 3 items you CAN NOT live without?
Sadly, my blackberry (I’d be lost without it)
The St Jude hat that I wear nearly daily
My cardboard cutout of a shirtless Neil Diamond


How do you balance your work with other obligations?
I’m extremely lucky because I married a wonderfully understanding person. Rosey and I met as part timers in the promotions department in Tucson so she’s seen first hand the demands of this job. She’s also got the patience of a saint. Without her support, I don’t know that I’d even be where I am today.
Sorry for the sap…

Do you get nervous about anything?
Uncertainty makes me nervous. I like to keep everything very buttoned up and I want things to go according to plan. When they don’t, I start to worry.
Oh, and bears.



Do you have a ritual before you go on the air?
I always make a fresh pot of coffee so that I’m completely wired within the first 15 minutes. Caffeine buzz makes for good radio.

If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be, and what would say to them?
I’d like to have met my dad when he was the age I am now. He would have been married with young kids already. I’d be sure to tell him to have extra patience with his oldest…

What is your hobby or do you collect anything?
I have a pretty impressive collection of squirrel pelts.



What chore to you hate?
I’ve recently found myself in charge of a lawn. 11 years in the desert doesn’t really prepare a person for the joys of mowing.

Do you have an animal/s?
We’ve got two. A fat dog named Lola (who is as sweet as she could be and dumber than a stack of bricks) and a mean cat named Bella (I’m pretty sure she spends her days plotting my demise).


Fruits or Vegetables?
Remember that line in Pulp Fiction? My wife is a vegetarian so that pretty much makes me a vegetarian…

Mac or PC?
I don’t think I’m cool enough to be a Mac guy.


Ginger or Mary Ann?
Mary Ann all the way… Ginger was way to high maintenance.

Craziest thing you have ever done?
Freshman year in the dorms, I was giving my friend a physics lesson. I stuck one of my keys into the light socket to prove that you wouldn’t get electrocuted. Several sparks and one melted keychain later I remembered that I had failed physics… Twice.


Dan Matthews
APD / MD
WOW Country 104.3
KAWO, Boise
www.wow1043.com
Phone: 208.275.8186

NEXT WEEK MEET CODY ALAN FROM CMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment