Wednesday, June 2, 2010

BOB KNIGHT'S WEDNESDAY (FEELS LIKE TUESDAY) MORNING MEETING

CUSTOMER SERVICE GOES BEYOND THE SALES DEPARTMENT

Last week, late production changes sent a spot skidding into the radio station a few minutes past business hours.  Did the spots air the following day? Nope.  Was I furious? Yes.  Here's the scoop:
Ad rep calls my cell phone saying that production had not received copy (copy needed by 5pm).  Ad rep leaves no direct line on my cell phone voice mail (and does not leave a cell phone number).  After sitting through several minutes of automated directories, I reached the ad rep's voice mail (again, no cell phone on outgoing message).  I tried to reach production; sorry, mailbox full.  I tried to reach an on-air studio (do we have personalities in afternoon drive anymore?).  I tried to reach the sales manager, general manager, traffic department, other sellers--nada.  Mind you, it's now 5:11 p.m.  Surely, I thought, there would be someone at the station who could ensure that replacement copy had been properly transmitted electronically and begin the following morning, right?  No.

This must be the only radio station in the entire country who has not only made its budget, but its quarter, because if I were the GM or DOS, my reps would be working until they hit their numbers.  And if I were the GM, I'd have someone answer the phone--a live person--remember those people? If I were the GM or DOS, I'd be sure that all my sellers were reachable via cell phone (at least on an outgoing voicemail message). 

Spots aired two days later.  There are many options out there, and this station won't be one of them the next time around.  

Since late copy changes are synonymous with agencies, make it your goal today to ensure that all of your sellers communicate an after-hours phone number, the production department actually checks voicemail, and that there is always a responsible party and an appropriate chain of command set up at your station.  

No comments:

Post a Comment